About Get Your Glow Back
A combined Celiac Awareness Campaign
May is Celiac/Coeliac Awareness Month in Canada, Europe and the United States, and May 16 is internationally recognized as Celiac Awareness Day. Building off of the Canadian Celiac Association’s Celiac Awareness Month activities of 2019—where buildings in five major cities across Canada “glowed” with green lights for awareness—celiac-related organizations across the globe have come together to support the 2020 Get Your Glow Back combined campaign.
This year each organization is promoting celiac disease awareness by having buildings and landmarks light up for celiac disease.
Which Organizations are Involved?
This awareness campaign is a group effort by the Association of European Coeliac Societies, Beyond Celiac, Canadian Celiac Association, Celiac Disease Foundation, Coeliac Australia, Coeliac UK, Gluten Intolerance Group and National Celiac Association.
What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease (also referred to as celiac sprue, non-tropical sprue, and gluten-sensitive enteropathy) is a serious, genetic autoimmune disorder triggered by consuming a protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye. When a person with celiac disease eats gluten, the protein interferes with the absorption of nutrients from food by damaging a part of the small intestine called villi. Damaged villi make it nearly impossible for the body to absorb nutrients into the bloodstream, leading to malnourishment and a host of other problems including some cancers, thyroid disease, osteoporosis, infertility and the onset of other autoimmune diseases.
Playing off finding and taking charge of your health and lighting up buildings, we’re promoting that those with celiac disease “get their glow back” this month and spreading the word about this serious disease—especially information about diagnosis so those unknowingly suffering from this disease can get help and “get their glow back.”
Schedule of Events
- May 16-17 – Iconic LAX pylons will “glow” in honor of International Celiac Awareness Day thanks to Celiac Disease Foundation
- May 16 – The following six buildings in Canada will light up green for celiac disease thanks to Canadian Celiac Association:
Calgary – Calgary Tower
Toronto – CN Tower
Edmonton – High Level Bridge
Newfoundland and Labrador – Lieutenant Governor’s House
Quebec – Stade Olympique
Quebec – Tour Jules Dallaire
- May 30 – National Celiac Association 5k in Needham, MA
- May 1-31– Virtual Step Beyond Celiac 5k with Beyond Celiac
- Visit one of the scheduled buildings or landmarks while they’re lit up and share photos on social media with the hashtag #getyourglowback
- Glow for celiac disease. Light up your own home on Celiac Awareness Day or sport glow sticks. Share photos on social media with the hashtag #getyourglowback.
- Share for celiac disease. Share social media content related to celiac disease facts, diagnosis, getting tested and more.
- Give for celiac disease. Start a fundraiser or donate to a celiac disease organization.
Social Graphics Toolkit